|Somewhere in the frozen city...|
My basecloth is a 36" x 36" square of table-protecting material. This is used upside-down, painted in grey emulsion, textured in places with PVA and chinchilla dust, painted in patches with a black wash and then when dry with more patches of matt white emulsion. I didn't use snow flock on the base as I reasoned that this was likely to come off inconveniently and probably leave marks. The whole looks pretty good with the terrain pieces on top and rolls up reasonably conveniently for transport.
The terrain is made from wood offcuts, cardboard, mounting board and balsa wood based on 3mm MDF. The rough hewn brickwork effect is scored onto balsa wood using an old pen. I made the main pieces before taking photos but have taken a few shots of some of the scenario pieces as they were constructed, as the techniques are pretty much the same. The examples below show the monk's cells made for The Haunted Houses scenario.
For elements with balsa wood walls, I first cut the wood to size and roughly to shape so that the pieces would fit together. Then I scored rough brickwork onto the balsa using a ballpoint pen.
|Balsa wood pieces cut and scored|
All parts were then assembled and stuck together using PVA glue on an appropriately sized MDF base.
|Assembled room, with rubble mixed and ready for application|
|Rubble added to the base|
Finally, all pieces were painted grey and washed with black. When dry, I added patches of Woodland Scenics snow flock in layers, to give a finish a little like snow and ice that has thawed and then re-frozen.
|Statues on their plinths|