Friday 15 December 2017

A Few More Frostgrave Bits: Ulterior Motives

Ulterior Motives
No sooner had I finished my terrain and figures when a new addition to the game, that requires a few more terrain items, came out. The extra elements described here were made in anticipation of the arrival of my set of cards for the Ulterior Motives expansion, which looks like an excellent addition to the game. All these terrain items have been made so that they can be used free-standing on my basecloth or on top of any suitably-sized terrain item (except the gateway, which is really designed to stand on its own).

Of course, any or all of the items here can be used as dressing in any game of Frostgrave whether or not using the Ulterior Motives cards.

I should note that when I had finished making these, my copy of Ulterior Motives arrived, and I realised that duplicate items might be useful to have in case opposing players have the option of both placing the same item. So I made duplicates of each item as well.

Arcane Disc
Arcane Disc
This magic circle type thing was made from a pre-cut 50mm MDF disc to which I added a thin skin of milliput in a circle around the edge. Lines and runes were scribed into this with an old pen. The inside of the disc was textured with PVA/filler mix, sand and chinchilla dust and finally decorated with snow flock in layers.

Trapdoor
Don't open that Trapdoor!
I made a door from cut wooden coffee stirrers (only one in fact) and some bits of card and tiny scraps of balsa. The door was slightly inset into a hole cut in an MDF base. I resisted the urge to make the trapdoor hinged so that it could be opened.

The Pit
The Pit: not a hole in the table
This was made from another 50mm MDF disc. I cut a circular hole about 30mm wide from its centre, and glued the disc to a piece of card cut to shape so as to be able to paint the inside of the pit. The edges of the hole were then slightly raised with Milliput, inscribed to look like brickwork edging the hole. The inside of the pit was painted black to give the impression of a deep hole.

Gateway
The Gateway
I made this in the same way as my walls, from balsa wood scored with a pen to look like stonework, based on MDF. This gateway is larger than the other ones I made, and I added a small buttress to the whole just for fun. The piece was painted grey and washed black. This one was slightly harder work than most of the other pieces here but I think worth it in the end.

Sarcophagus
Sarcophagus - two of them in fact
This one was very simple. I took a cut-down small cardboard box (formerly containing medicine) which I sandwiched between two cut pieces of foamboard, toppped with a piece of card and based on MDF. I filled some gaps with Milliput to tidy it up, but otherwise that's it.

Runic Stone
Runic Stone: with added runes
This is described as a pillar with runes on. Very easy to buy a resin cast one, and because a resin-cast one would be a waste of time to imitate, mine is a lot more rustic - and easier. It is a suitably-shaped piece of broken roof tile, based on MDF. I added a skin of milliput to both flat sides and etched runes into it using an old pen.

Statue
Statue: with removable top, just in case it comes to life
I haven't actually got a figure I like for this statue yet - I intend to find a figure in a static pose, possibly a souvenir rather than a figure proper - so for the moment all I have is a plinth for it. I'll use a figure on top for the time being. The plinth is made from mounting board and more card from that medicine box, again based on MDF. The sides of the plinth were painted with PVA textured with chinchilla dust.

Constructs
Constructs: small to large (L-R, obviously)
This was a frivolous idea that worked out well. I don't have any construct-type figures, so rather than buy some I made some by sticking balsa wood offcuts together into fragile-looking, rather haphazard and vaguely humanoid shapes, in appropriate sizes. I wanted them to look like they had been made from the stonework and rubble of the city itself, so they're painted like my Frostgrave terrain. They'll do!

And now for some Frostgrave games using Ulterior Motives

No comments:

Post a Comment