Monday 4 May 2020

The Long Arm (and Short Legs) of the Law


"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any breakfast yet!"
Cracking on with the painting mountain during lockdown means that I have been dragging my heels a bit blogging. Here are some pictures of some more figures - policemen and similar - that I've painted in the last couple of weeks for 7TV2. A separate article will  follow very soon with some opposition for them all.

Politicians and diplomats
And so,I will start with fur figures that aren't police. You can never have too many bystander/civilian/hostage figures. These are really nice, clean castings from The Assault Group that I bought at Hammerhead. A new company to me, their ranges are quite superb and I will doubtless be buying more figures from them in due course.

Starsky (ish) and Dirty Not Hutch
These are American cops from Killer B Games' Shut It! range. Despite being a complete pain when Google searching their name, this company is well worth a look as they have a superb range of 70's-inspired, characterful and cartoony figures. I think they're great - but they are chunky and short (these are the short legs of the law) compared with other ranges - particularly the much more realistically sculpted and larger Crooked Dice figures. I have deliberately not put the two ranges against each other in photos here. But on the gaming table I won't care about such details. I love the range regardless.

For some reason when I bought figures from Killer B I ordered their almost-Starsky (I think his face is more like an ageing Tony Curtis) but failed to purchase not-Hutch. I've rectified that sine but not painted the figure yet. The one I originally thought was supposed to be Hutch was I believe actually supposed to be Dirty Harry. It's somewhere between the two I think. So you'll have to use your imagination, and when lockdown is over I'll be buying a 1:43 Gran Torino.

Security guards
A pair of excellent figures from Killer B, with their very own objective marker. I don't have a security van but plan to rectify that in due course. These will be very useful bystanders/civilians or even objectives themselves.

"Shut It!"
Again from Killer B, and much more convincing, these two characters are great matches for Reagan and Carter from The Sweeney. Lovely figures with angry expressions and an overabundance of 70's style. Getting hold of a 1:43 brown Ford Granada is a real challenge though, but this European Ford Consul is almost the same - ignoring right hand drive and French licence plate. Close enough for the gaming table though.

Tough detectives
This pair of detectives from Crooked Dice could also be Reagan and Carter, or perhaps Morse and Lewis. Or something similar.  Beautifully cast figures, as they're much classier models I've given them a classier car.

Not amateurs
The three key players from The Professionals - bought from Sally 4th ages ago, but I don't remember the manufacturer. If anyone can advise me, please do! Very characterful figures, capturing the essence of Bodie and Doyle (though I have no idea why Mr Cowley has an SMG).

NYPD's finest
Some lovely Crooked Dice US cops (with pistols and nightsticks) commanded by a hero cop who has sat around unpainted for way too long. Theer must be a second squad car nearby as you can't fit that many cops in one Chevrolet.

Four new recruits
I gave four of my Crooked Dice cops (with rifles) broad rimmed hats nd painted them to match the handful of Crystal Cove cops I've previously used with the Scooby Doo cast. Excellent additions.
"Ere! I want a word with you"
On the other side of the pond, these brave boys in blue (who don't rely on guns) have a surplus of vehicles available. Figures from Crooked Dice - again, lovely castings as usual.

"Stop, thief!"
And to help them do their job, and to finish off this post, some (shorter, chunkier) Killer B reinforcements, with yet more transport. For some reason I seem to have bought far too mnay police cars over the years.


.


No comments:

Post a Comment